Western Union has been ordered to pay $586 million following an investigation by the FTC, the Department of Justice and U.S. Postal Inspection Service. If you wired money to scammers through Western Union between Jan. 1, 2004 and January of 2017, you can file a claim and you may get some of your lost funds back. You have until May 31, 2018 to do so.

Important Tips

If anyone wants to charge you money to file the claim, it is a scam. There is no fee to file a claim and their is no upfront cost to recover your money. Scammers often pray on former victims by soliciting them with offers to recover lost funds for an upfront fee.

You are required to provide your Social Security Number of Individual Taxpayer ID Number in order to submit your claim.

You have to put them on the online form or the mail in form. No one will call and request that information over the phone.

Gilardi & Co. is the legitimate company that DOJ has contracted to process these claims.  You may get mail or other correspondence from them. The mail often shows their name and a return address in Kentucky.

The only address to mail a claim form back to is:

United States v. The Western Union Company, PO Box 404027, Louisville, KY 40233-4027

Documentation is helpful but not required to file a claim. The more you have and can share with DOJ as part of the claims process the easier it is to validate your claims.

It may take a year for the funds to be sent to you after the claim is filed.

More resources:

The FTC posted answers to FAQs earlier this month in a blog post:


FTC Website with full details:


Site to file a claim: