Our partners at WFMY News 2 in Greensboro, North Carolina have some advice on how to avoid getting scammed when seeking home repairs.
Ads shown are chosen by the content creator and not endorsed by Call For Action.
- Work with only licensed and insured contractors.
- Get more than one estimate. Don’t be forced into signing a contract right away.
- Get everything in writing. Cost, work to be done, time schedule, guarantees, payment schedule and other expectations should be detailed.
- Require references, and check them out.
- Ask to see the salesperson’s driver’s license; write down the license number. Also, take down his or her license plate number.
- Never sign a contract with blank spaces. Crooked contractors may enter unacceptable terms later.
- Never pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate until the work is completed.
- A disaster greatly magnifies the opportunity for fraud and abuse. Don’t file a false insurance claim. Insurance fraud is a felony.
- Insurance coverage may be rendered void if there is misrepresentation by an insured.
To submit your consumer complaint, use our online form.