Internet Essentials is a high-speed, low-cost Internet service for eligible low-income households at a cost of $9.95 per month; wireless Wi-Fi is included. An option to purchase an internet-ready computer is available at a cost of $149.99 plus tax with free digital literacy training online and in person.
It’s $9.95 per month plus tax for speeds up to 10Mbps that will allow the use of multiple devices simultaneously.
The Wi-Fi modem can connect any internet-enabled device (laptops, tablets or smartphones). There is no installation or activation fee and free professional installation is available.
The kit includes a modem with wireless Wi-Fi and installation instructions. If you purchase the internet-ready computer mentioned above ($149.99 plus tax), it is delivered pre-loaded with Microsoft Office and Norton Security Suites. A payment plan is available.
- No outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than one year old (Comcast offers amnesty to households who are eligible and have a past due bill older than one year)
- Live in a Comcast internet service area (and in a pilot market for pilot programs – HUD’s ConnectHome initiative)
- Have not subscribed to Comcast internet within the last 90 days
Additionally, applicants must fall into one of the following programs:
- K-12 Program: Have at least one child eligible for the National School Lunch Program. Children in a school with 40% or more participation in the Lunch Program can get instant approval; no additional paperwork needed.
- Housing Assistance Program: Households that receive HUD housing assistance such as Public Housing, Housing Choice Vouchers (Sec 8 Vouchers) or Multifamily Assistance (such as Project-Based Section 8 and 202/811)
- Senior Citizen Pilot: For low-income seniors (62 years or older) receiving federal or state public assistance and living in Palm Beach County, FL, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco or Seattle.
- Community College Pilot: For community college students receiving a federal Pell Grant and residing in Illinois or Colorado
With this program, participants will be able to attend free Comcast digital literacy programs in person conducted by Comcast training partners: learning.internetessentials.com/free-classes-search, or view free on-line tutorials.
HOW TO APPLY
Go To www.internetessentials.com or call 855-846-8376 (English and Spanish). Call centers are staffed with translators to help callers speaking a variety of languages. Program materials are available in 12 languages beyond English and Spanish, such as Somali, Chinese, Korean and Russian.